Demand was great for Clarendon Brand Cheese
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
CLARENDON – Our picture shows the Clarendon Cheese Factory in the 1930s. It was built by Herb Keople in 1914 and started operating in 1915.
Thousands of pounds of cheese were produced a day during the peak season of May and June. Demand for the Clarendon Brand Cheese was so great that Keople even sub-contracted work.
Local farmers supplied the milk. When they could get more money for their milk than Keople was willing to pay, he closed the cheese factory in 1943.
The site was located on Hulberton Road and was later converted into a house.