Find us on Facebook

Crosby’s has kept going in Kendall despite power outage

Photos by Tom Rivers: Edith Brodie, a Crosby’s employee in Kendall, checks the coffee machines just before the lunch rush today. She said coffee has been a big seller since the power was knocked out in Kendall about 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday.

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 10 March 2017 at 2:03 pm

Store has been busy for residents needing gas, coffee and food

Missie Merritt slices a pizza that just came out of the oven.

KENDALL – The Crosby’s convenience store on Route 18 in Kendall has been a popular place the past two days while most of the town has been shut down without electricity.

Crosby’s has kept going after fierce winds knocked out power in the community at about 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday. The company brought in a generator three hours after the power outage so people could still buy gas and the store could serve up pizza, coffee and other food.

The store opens at 5:30 in the morning and customers are ready for their coffee.

“I’m thankful they are here and the people here are so helpful,” said Diane Howard of Kendall.

She said she has stopped by Crosby’s twice daily to buy several coffees for her family. She also has brought home pizza and other food.

After the power was knocked out Wednesday, Crosby’s stayed open. Its cash registers are battery powdered in case the electricity goes out. A generator was brought in three hours after power was lost, and the store was able to operate the gas pumps. The store has only been able to accept cash because the debit and credit card machines depend on cable, which has been knocked out. Crosby’s does have a working ATM for customers.

“We’ve been much busier than normal,” said Missie Merritt, one of the employees.

She said coffee, gasoline, kerosene and propane have been big sellers.

She praised Crosby’s for getting a generator on site soon after the power was out because the store has been critical to helping residents cope without electricity.

Judy Hammond of Kendall fills up a container with gasoline that she said she would use for a generator to keep some appliances going in her house.

Judy Hammond of Kendall stopped by this morning to get gas for a generator. She has a wood stove in her garage and has fans set up to blow heat into her house.

The generator also is keeping her refrigerator and freezer going, and allowing her to have some lights on.

“It’s a pain but hopefully we’ll have power on back soon,” she said.

A resident on Route 18 near Peter Smith Road made this sign thanking the utility company workers for their efforts to restore power and services to the community.

Return to top