County sets May 23 for tax auction
ALBION – Orleans County will hold its annual tax auction on May 23 for properties with several years of delinquent taxes.
The auction will be held at the Albion Elk Lodge, 428 West State St. The sales start at 10 a.m.
The county hired Absolute Auctions and Realty to run the auction for the next three years. At the auction, buyers agree to a sale price and also have to pay a year of the back taxes. The buyer also agrees to an 11 percent buyer’s premium which goes to the auctioneer.
In other action at last week’s Legislature meeting:
• Approved spending $74,863 for new carpet in the Mental Health Department building with the Federal Medicaid Salary Sharing funds covering the cost. Greenfield Flooring in Henrietta is the contractor.
• Approved spending $19,526 for furniture and furnishings for the mental Health Department with $10,350 from Krantz Furniture in Albion and $9,176 from Staples in Orlando, Fla. There is no county cost with Finger Lakes Participating Provider System paying the bill.
• The sale price was increased for county-owned land at 106 Beaver St., Albion. The county increased the price from $12,501 to $14,337 for DePaul Acquisitions LLC, which is looking to put a housing development at Liberty and Beaver streets. The added price reflects the addition of the 2018 county/town real property tax bill.
• Appointed Tracy VanSkiver to a two-year term as the Village of Albion’s representative on the County Planning Board, with Matthew Hand serving as the alternate.
• Renewed a $25,000 annual contract with Heath & Martin Law Firm in Holley to administer the assigned counsel program.
• Accepted a $1,500 donation for a new hanging ceiling gas heater for the Orleans County Animal Shelter.
• Reappointed the following to four-year terms on the Orleans County Youth Board: Scott Green of Medina, Cynthia Lonnen of Albion and Barbara Flow of Kendall.
• Approved a $5,000 payment to Mercy Flight for air medical transfers.