Corning Museum of Glass bringing glassmaking to Medina on the Canal
MEDINA – Corning Museum of Glass will bring its Mobile Hot Shop to Medina for three days from Sept. 29 to Oct. 1, showcasing its glassmaking artistry as part of the On the Canals initiative.
Corning’s Mobile Hot Shop uses unique glassmaking equipment to recreate a state-of-the-art studio environment. At venues around the world, in conjunction with exhibitions, events and art and design initiatives, Corning’s gaffers demonstrate complex hot glassmaking techniques, the state’s Reimagine the Canals said in a notice about the upcoming event.
The event at Medina’s Canal Basin is free to the public and people of all ages are welcome. Demonstrations take place every 45 mins throughout the day. To sign up, click here.
“You Design It; We Make It!” demonstrations take place the following dates and times:
- Sept. 29 at 10:15 a.m. and 4:15 p.m.;
- Sept. 30 at 11 a.m.;
- Oct. 1 at noon.
The protocol for “You Design It; We Make It!” includes:
- Arrive early and pick up a drawing sheet.
- Make your own unique drawing using the colored markers provided.
- Include a description or “artist’s statement” – it helps our team understand your idea – and submit your design 30 minutes prior to the show.
- Our glassmakers will choose one idea and make that piece live on stage.
On the Canals is a year-round program of free recreational and cultural activities highlighting the many ways you can enjoy the canal water ways and trails across New York State.
The Orleans County Tourism Department and Orleans County YMCA are working with the Reimagine the Canals and Corning on the event.