Cobblestone Museum has 6 outhouses, including former governor’s
Photos by Tom Rivers
GAINES – The cobblestone structures get a lot of the attention – as they should – at the Cobblestone Society Museum, but the museum also includes six outhouses, including the one used by Rufus Bullock and his family.
(In the top photo, museum co-director Sarah Karas is pictured with the Bullock outhouse, which is located behind the Ward House next to the Cobblestone Church.)
Bullock grew up in Albion and went on to be the governor of Georgia during Reconstruction after the Civil War. He gained prestige as president of the Macon and Augusta Railroad in 1867. He was elected governor and served from 1868 to 1871. Bullock was an abolitionist and successfully fought accusations of corruption while he was governor in Georgia.
He returned to live out his life in Albion and is buried at Mount Albion Cemetery. His house still stands at the northwest corner of West Park and Liberty streets.
The Cobblestone Church was built in 1834 and is the oldest cobblestone church in North America. But it’s not the oldest structure on the museum grounds. That distinction goes to this outhouse that was erected in the early 1830s.
The finest of the six outhouses is this one, which has five seats inside. This outhouse is next to the Farmer’s Hall.
Take a look inside the five-seater.