Find us on Facebook

Chimney fire spreads in Murray

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 17 April 2013 at 12:05 am

Photos by Tom Rivers – A chimney fire at this house Fancher Road spread into the eaves and bedroom, causing significant smoke and water damage. Firefighters had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

MURRAY – About 50 firefighters from several fire companies responded to a fire on Tuesday night at 3504 Fancher Rd.

The fire began in the chimney and spread into the eaves and a bedroom, fire officials said. Chris Pitt, owner of the house, said the fire started about 10 p.m. Firefighters from several departments quickly descended on the site in the town of Murray and had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

Pitt said the house and belongings inside “are just material things. Everybody is OK.”

He praised the firefighters who answered the call from Albion, Carlton, Clarendon, Fancher-Hulberton-Murray, Kendall and Morton fire departments.

“I can’t believe all these volunteers that turned out so quickly to save my house,” he said.

The fire filled the neighborhood with smoke late Tuesday night on Fancher Road.