Carlton man suffers burns in explosion
Press release, Orleans County Sheriff Scott Hess
CARLTON – An Orleans County man is hospitalized following an explosion this morning at his Carlton residence.
The incident occurred at approximately 11:20 a.m. at 12905 South Hillcrest Drive. Wesley R. Baes, 75, was operating an acetylene torch in an attempt to patch a hole in a 200-gallon above ground gasoline tank. The tank had been drained, but there were residual vapors that ignited and caused the explosion.
Baes sustained what were described as severe burns and was flown to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester by Mercy Flight helicopter.
The incident was investigated by Deputy J.W. Halstead. Central Orleans Volunteer Ambulance personnel and Carlton firefighters also responded to the scene.