Bridge closes on 104 in Ridgeway with new span expected to open in September

Staff Reports Posted 27 April 2021 at 4:49 pm

RIDGEWAY – The New York State Department of Transportation is advising motorists that the bridge carrying Route 104 over Oak Orchard Creek in the Town of Ridgeway is now closed to accommodate construction.

Contractors will replace the existing structure with a new multi-girder bridge that features upgraded bridge shoulders and an improved hydraulic opening.

The new bridge is expected to open to traffic in September. A signed detour is currently in place for motorists to use Route 98, Route 31A, Route 63 and Route 104. Local roads near the bridge will be accessible during construction.

The bridge is being replaced by Union Concrete and Construction Corp. of West Seneca. The $2.65 million bridge replacement is 80 percent funded by the federal government with the state paying the other 20 percent.

The new bridge will replace one from 1954. The new bridge is a single span multi-girder bridge featuring two 12-foot-wide travel lanes and two 6-foot-wide shoulders. New approaches will also be constructed as part of the project. The new bridge is expected to last at least 75 years.