BOCES offering new path for high school equivalency diploma
Press Release, Orleans/Niagara BOCES
MEDINA – Do you want to earn your high school equivalency diploma, but don’t have time to attend class? This pathway to a diploma allows clients to complete work at home, the library or wherever there is a computer and internet.
Flexible scheduling means the participant can earn a high school diploma while employed, enrolled in job training, or managing other commitments.
The National External Diploma Program is a competency-based, applied performance assessment system that allows adults to demonstrate their ability in a series of simulations that parallel job and life situations. Participants demonstrate mastery of ten content areas by completing multiple performance tasks, validating knowledge and technology skills.
To date, 15 adults in Orleans County have obtained their HSE diploma through the National External Diploma Program, while continuing to work or managing other commitments.
Is the program right for you? Successful clients in the NEDP possess the following:
- Academic skills at the 9th grade level or above (remediation is available)
- Strong time-management skills
- Strong digital literacy skills
- Solid organizational skills
- Self-direction and motivation
What are some of the benefits of the National External Diploma Program?
- Easily accessible web-based program
- Usually completed in 6 to 12 months
- Convenient places to complete most of your work (home, library or a place of your choice.)
- Self-paced and not timed
- Dedicated staff who are invested in your success
- Supportive tutorials and resource materials
- Allows clients to obtain a high school equivalency diploma through demonstration of specific competencies, rather than a standardized test
We also offer tradition TASC (formerly known as GED) classes. Do you have passing Regents scores? If so, you receive credit for every Regents subject that you passed.
For more information contact Mrs. Smith or Ms. Johnson at (585) 798-1420 for classes in the Medina area or Mrs. Behrend at (716) 462-1054 for classes in the Albion/Holley area.