Big celebration when Odd Fellows dedicated temple in Albion
By Bill Lattin
Orleans County Historian
ALBION – Printed information on this photo indicates it was taken on June 5, 1908, when the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Temple was dedicated in Albion.
A grand arch made of bunting was erected over Main Street to welcome everyone. The symbol for the Odd Fellows – the three links of chain for friendship, love and truth – is prominently displayed.
A speakers’ stand in the middle of our picture is draped in flags. The temple rooms were located on the second floor with three store fronts at the street level.
The one to the right was an early move theater known as Bijou Dream. Next to it was a restaurant called The Iroquois. Looking up Main Street to West State, we note that it was a dirt street.