Barker wins thriller in marathon shootout

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 23 October 2017 at 9:50 pm

Photos by Cheryl Wertman – Barker’s Natalie Menz watches as her game winning goal goes in the cage during the Lady Raiders sudden death shootout victory over Eden this evening at Vets Park.

No. 2 seed Barker had to go to a sudden death shootout round to nip No. 7 Eden 1-0 in the quarterfinal round of the Section VI Class C field hockey playoffs this evening at Vets Park.

The contest went scoreless through 60 minutes of regulation play and two 10 minute overtime periods. Both teams then scored once in each of the first two rounds of the shootout setting the stage for the sudden death round.

Barker goalie Cara Fox, who did yeoman work making saves in the cage throughout the shootout, made the stop on Eden’s first shooter in the sudden death round.

Barker’s first shooter, Natalie Menz, then finally ended the marathon contest when she scored on a rebound after her initial shot was stopped.

Barker goalie Cara Fox stops an advance by Eden shooter Savannah Battleson in the shootout.

“That was a marathon. I’ve never been a part of one like that,” said Barker Caoch Jeff Costello who cited the strong effort by his goalie. “You can’t ask for anything better from your goalie than that.”

Barker had a whopping 10-0 advantage in corner opportunities in the first half of regulation play but could not score. The Lady Raiders also couldn’t capitalize on three more corners in the second half or on two in each of the two 7 on 7 overtime periods.

In the first round of the shootout, Eden took a 1-0 lead on a goal by the third of their five shooters Savannah Battleson.

Barker though quickly knotted the contest as the Lady Raiders fourth shooter, Ciara Gregoire, scored on a rebound after her initial shot was blocked.

The 1-1 deadlock sent the contest into a second shootout round where Barker took a 2-1 lead as Menz, their second shooter, tallied.

This time it was Eden which answered right back getting a goal from their third shooter Emma Cooper to retie the contest at 2-2, a tally that ended up forcing a sudden death shootout round as Barker’s final shooter missed on a penalty stroke.

Improving to 16-1 overall, Barker finally claimed by exciting victory in sudden death as Fox made the save on Eden’s first shooter and Menz followed up by scoring on the Lady Raiders first opportunity.

Barker next faces No. 3 Roy-Hart in the semifinals at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Clarence.

Roy-Hart blanked No. 6 Wilson 2-0 as Miah Glena scored with just 1:12 remaining in the first half off an assist from Lexi Lovewell and then Ashley Hill tallied midway through the second half from Jayden Townsend.

Jenna Bower earned the shutout in goal for the Lady Rams.

In the other quarterfinal, No. 4 Holland defeated visiting No. 5 Medina 3-0 to earn  a Wednesday semifinal meeting with No. 1 Akron at 5:30 p.m. at Clarence.

Barker’s Ciara Gregoire scores the Lady Raiders first goal in the shootout from the seat of her skirt.