Award started to recognize distinguished Catholic school alumni in GLOW region
Press Release, St. Joseph Regional School in Batavia
BATAVIA – St. Joseph Regional School in Batavia is proud to announce the launch of the “Distinguished Alumni Award” for Catholic Schools in the Genesee, Livingston, Orleans and Wyoming (GLOW) region.
St. Joseph’s has educated generations of students in the GLOW region since 1849 and is excited to recognize alumni who have distinguished themselves through their work, community service and/or outstanding character.
Having served the St. Joseph community for 27 years as a teacher and administrator, Principal Karen Green shares the inspiration for this new alumni award.
“Any educator will tell you that one of the greatest joys is to hear from former students how they are making an impact in the world,” she said. “This award recognizes and celebrates the impact and accomplishments of not only St. Joe’s alumni—but Catholic School alumni from the entire GLOW (Genesee, Livingston, Orleans and Wyoming) region.”
Asked why this award is open to all Catholic School alumni in the region and not just St. Joe’s alumni, Green explained, “We know it’s very difficult when one’s alma mater is no longer operating, so St. Joseph’s felt it was important to welcome nominations from across the four counties. St. Joe’s is honored to establish the Hall of Fame and looks forward to showcasing distinguished alumni each year.”
Created to recognize individuals who are creating a positive impact in their personal and professional lives, nominations are being sought from the community-at-large. Candidates are not eligible for this honor until at least 10 years following the date of graduation from High School.
Criteria for award candidates may include:
- Demonstration of ongoing dedication to the betterment of society through partnership, support, and service.
- Examples may include but are not limited to: active volunteerism; service on a committee, board or advisory; serving as a coach or mentor to youth; philanthropic support; commitment to one’s parish; demonstration of leadership in one’s community.
- Service as a role model in the community and commitment to lifelong learning
Nomination Process: Community representatives, families, and alumni are encouraged to nominate themselves or other alumni who serve as exemplary citizens having distinguished themselves in their community, through their profession, or service to others. All nominations and supporting documents must be submitted online. Click here for more information.
Award recipients will be selected by a community panel in mid-December.
2022-2023 Awards Timeline:
- December 1: Nominations close
- December 12-16: Inductees are selected by a community panel
- December 19-22: Inductees are contacted and announced via press release and social media
- Jan. 29 – Feb. 4, 2023: Recognition of all nominees and induction of the 2023 cohort in conjunction with Catholic Schools Week
All nominees will receive a congratulatory letter from St. Joseph’s Alumni in Action and be listed on the Alumni in Action website.
To join “St. Joe’s Alumni in Action” or discuss ways to support the school, contact Mrs. Karen Green at 585-343-6154 or visit www.sjsbatavia.org.