Albion apparitions share local history
Annual Ghost Walk draws 500 to Mount Albion
ALBION – Some prominent Albionites in business, politics and community affairs in the 19th Century returned Saturday during the annual Ghost Walk at Mount Albion Cemetery.
The Albion drama program told the stories of 15 Albion residents who are buried in the oldest part of the cemetery, which opened in 1843. Students dressed in period costume and portrayed some of the Albionites, including perhaps Albion’s most famous native son, the Honorable Sanford Church. He served as lieutenant governor, state comptroller and chief judge of the Court of Appeals.
Not all of the Albion residents on the Ghost Walk achieved great success and acclaim. Students featured two children – Jane Lavery and Lydia Harris – who perished in the Main Street bridge collapse on Sept. 28, 1859.