After brush fire, Medina weighs restrictions at compost site
MEDINA – Village officials are considering restricting access to the compost site at North Gravel Road after a brush fire on Thursday took two days to fully put out.
Residents have been welcome to drop off brush at the compost site. But Fire Chief Tom Lupo said the fire showed people are discarding garbage, tires, railroad ties, roofing materials and other debris, which proved challenging to put out once they caught fire.
Lupo said it looks like “spontaneous combustion” caused the fire on Thursday.
The compost site is currently wide open without a fence. The village could fence it in, or limit it to village residents. Many town residents currently discard brush there.
The site is only supposed to be used for brush, but some people have been using it as a dumping ground.
Mayor Michael Sidari said the village needs to discuss restrictions for the site.
“It’s something to think about for how we want to deal with this,” he told the Village Board on Monday.