Betterment Committee awarded $10K grant towards new roof of Santa School Museum
Basket raffle on Saturday at Lockstone goes towards museum

Photo by Tom Rivers: The bronze statue of Santa at Waterman Park is shown recently while traffic moves along Main Street. The Albion Betterment Committee is working to develop a Santa School Museum in the brick building in the middle across the street.
ALBION – The Albion Betterment Committee has been awarded a $10,000 grant towards a new roof for the Santa School Museum. A new roof for the building at 128 North Main St. could be at least $70,000.
The Betterment Committee continues to pursue grants and raise money for the roof and the museum. There will be a basket raffle on Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. at the Lockstone, 160 North Main Street. Proceeds go to the Santa School Museum.
The event also will include drinks from Cold Brew Coffee, treats from Sav’s Creekside Café, a photo backdrop from The Wed Shed. Jesse Colmenero photography will be there to take photos of families and children. Gary Simboli will be performing music from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. To donate a basket contact Lori Laine at mailgirl2159@yahoo.com.
The $10,000 grant was awarded by the Rochester Area Community Foundation. That organization also approved a $5,000 grant in the spring for new windows at the building.
The Betterment Committee purchased the building in November from the estate of Henri Pulley. The site is 6,600 square feet.
The Betterment Committee is working to turn the vacant two-story site into the Santa School Museum. It will pay homage to the late Charles W. Howard, who created the first Santa School in the world. He ran it on Phipps Road in Albion from 1937 until his death in 1966.
Howard continues to be revered among the people who portray Santa. The Santa School continues in his name in Midland, Mich. Howard also was well known as the Santa in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade from 1948 to 1965. Howard also was inducted as an inaugural member in 2010 of the International Santa Claus Hall of Fame.
The Betterment Committee wants to make the Main Street site into a tourism center that celebrates Santa. The group wants to develop an interactive tourism center with displays about the Charles W. Howard Santa School and Christmas Park, which Howard ran for many years near his farmhouse on Phipps Road.
The Betterment Committee envisions the first floor as interactive exhibits and displays, as well as room for a bakery and food operator. The site could also offer services, including showers, for canal boaters, cyclists and other visitors.
The second floor is envisioned to offer space for artists – painters, potters, and others in need of studio space. The second floor has large windows that let in natural light that would be ideal for artists.





