5K race raised $12K for Arc of Genesee Orleans
Courtesy of the Arc of Genesee Orleans
ELBA – The 14th Annual Friends & Family 5K on Saturday in Elba raised $12,000 for the Arc of Genesee Orleans.
Some of the proceed will go toward the Mary Anne Graney Memorial scholarship program for high school seniors pursuing a career in special education, human services or related fields. The balance goes towards programs and services we provide to children and adults with disabilities across our two counties.
In 2018, $1,000 scholarships were awarded to Riley Seielstad (Albion), Hannah Duhow (Medina), Abigail Klos (Oakfield-Alabama) and Kathleen Dessert (LeRoy).
The heat and humidity took a toll on even the most experienced runners during the race on Saturday. There were 187 registered for the event’s 5K, with 161 completing the course with an official time. An additional 115 people participated in the fun walk, an abbreviated route.
“We were ready with over 25 cases of water,” said Race Director Sandy Konfederath. “For the middle of September – this was our hottest 5K in the decade our race has been in Elba.”
First and second place prizes were awarded in eight age groups for the 5K.
• Age 12 and under (F) – Zoe Naim, Amherst, 44:22, (no 2nd place in this age group); (M) Anthony Abbatiello, Batavia, 26:44 and Chase Cummings, LeRoy, 36:48.
• 13 to 18 – (F) Grace Graney, Buffalo, 29:14 and Corey Miller Williams, Batavia, 45:14; (M) Rodney Egli, Newark, 21:50 and Bryson Tobolski, Oakfield, 22:22.
• 19 to 29 – (F) Kimberly Mills, Oakfield, 22:27 and Kerry Mills, Basom, 24:20; (M) Justin Bender, North Chili, 19:55 and Justin Di Falco, LeRoy, 22:00.
• 30 to 39 – (F) Brittany Janicki, Cheektowaga, 24:11 and Amanda Bisig, Bergen, 27:22; (M) Andrew LaForce, Batavia, 21:52 and Kevin Andrews, LeRoy, 28:21.
• 40 to 49 – (F) Julie Tobolski, Oakfield, 27:54 and Jill Carter, Alden, 28:18; (M) James Moulds, Aurora Ontario, 22:59 and Dan Smith, LeRoy, 23:07.
• 50 to 59 – (F) Jill Graney, Buffalo, 23:50 and Lisa VanDeMark, Brockport, 29:12; (M) Allen Dise, Albion (2nd overall), 19:24 and Kevin Sheehan, Victor, 20:06.
• 60 to 69 – (F) Kathleen Donhauser, Williamsville, 29:31 and Toni Mills, Basom, 31:52; (M) Bruce Carter, Alden, 24:18 and Jeffrey Scott, Batavia, 24:22.
• 70 and over – (F) Joan Roberts, Yorkshire, 1:02:34 and Betsy Dexheimer, Batavia, 1:02:59 (M) Sid Bolton, Albion, 34:19 and Ed Russell, East Amherst, 35:08.
Runners, representing all areas of Western New York were joined by out-of-state runners from Texas, Virginia, New Mexico and Ohio.
Title sponsor of the Friends & Family 5K is Webster Szanyi LLP; health & wellness sponsor, MVP Health Care; corporate sponsor, Parkview Health Services; media sponsor, WBTA; T-shirt sponsor, Genesee Valley Penny Saver and Awards Sponsor, Case-Nic Cookies of Medina.
Eighty area businesses and families supported the 5K as donors and community cares, bluebonnet, blue spruce, neighbor-to-neighbor and friends & family sponsors. Food and party sponsors included: T. F. Brown’s, Center Street Smokehouse, Tops Friendly Markets, Ficarella’s Pizza, Upstate Farms, Crickler Vending and Tim Hortons. Post party music was provided by the Buffalo Road Show featuring Babe and Jimmy Catino.
A dozen local farmers and growers donated everything from apples, tomatoes and peppers to, eggplant and onions for the Taste of the Country Display so event participants could take a little bit of the country home with them.
Arc of Genesee Orleans would like to thank chairman Charles Graney, event volunteers, Elba Highway Superintendent Mark Yungfleisch, the Elba Town Board, Elba Fire Police, Mercy EMS and the Genesee County Sheriff’s Department for their support and assistance with this event.
In 2017, the Friends & Family 5K combined forces with the former 5K in Medina held in memory of Arc staff member Terri Carr Krieger. Terri was a long-time employee of the Arc, who lost her battle with cancer in 1997.