5 schools in Orleans get ready for graduation
About 400 seniors will graduate from the five public school districts in Orleans County on Friday and Saturday.
Four of the school districts – Albion, Kendall, Lyndonville and Medina – start their graduation programs at 7 p.m. on Friday. Holley has its commencement on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Here is a rundown of each graduation program:
• In Albion, graduation is in the high school gymnasium with 133 students finishing high school. The scheduled speakers are Michael Bonnewell, the district superintendent, and Margy Brown, president of the Board of Education, as well as Valedictorian Richard Daniels, Salutatorian Tyler Kast and Class President Victor Benjovsky.
• Holley has 89 candidates for graduation on Saturday at the Holley Hawks Stadium (the football stadium). There will be speeches by the Class President Matthew DeSimone, Valedictorian Dakota Thompson and the Salutatorian Nina DiLella.
The keynote address will be given by Nick D’Amuro, a Holley social studies teacher, football assistant coach, and track assistant coach.
In case of rain, the graduation will be moved to the Jr./Sr. High Auditorium.
• Kendall has 49 students graduating at 7 p.m. on Friday at the David J. Doyle Kendall Jr./Sr. High School Auditorium.
The valedictory address will be given by Kierstyn Christensen, who is the daughter of the district superintendent, Julie Christensen. Allen Tonas will be the salutatory address.
Karl Driesel, a Kendall graduate and owner of a woodworking business in town, will give the keynote address.
• Lyndonville has 50 students graduating on Friday at the Stroyan Auditorium. Jason Smith, the district superintendent, and Aaaron Slack, the high school principal, will be speakers. Paige Gardner will give the valedictory address and Mercedes Benedict will give the salutatorian speech.
• Medina has 120 students graduating on Friday in the High School Auditorium. Speakers include Michael Cavanaugh, the high school principal, and Valedictorian Madison Kenward and Salutatorian Jack Hill.