Littlest Elf Contest winners announced
Provided photo
MEDINA – The winners of the Littlest Elf Contest include, from left: Noa Pierce, second place; Crew Overholt, 3rd place; and Isabella Tompkins, 1st place.
The contest urges participants to dress up in a holiday costume. It was part of today’s Olde Tyme Christmas celebration in Medina. The three were able to be part of the noon parade.
Festive characters among the runners in Medina’s Home for the Holidays 5K
Photos by Tom Rivers
MEDINA – A group of runners, including Jacob Keppler as Santa, start off fast in the Canal Basin for today’s Home for the Holidays 5K in Medina.
The race kicked off the Olde Tyme Christmas celebration in Medina. There are many activities throughout the day, including the Parade of Lights at 6 p.m.
Click here to see the schedule of events.
Eric Tompkins of Lockport dressed as an elf in today’s Home of the Holidays 5K in Medina.
Jose Miguel Silva Ortiz of Medina won the race in a time of 17:53, followed by Alden Cayea of Medina in a time of 18:02. The first place finisher is shown by the Big Apple along the Erie Canal.
Kim Mills of Oakfield was the first female to finish the race with a time of 21:43.
Orly the Ox, the Orleans County Bicentennial mascot, greeted runners as they turned from the towpath and crossed the lift bridge. Orly wore his favorite ugly Christmas sweater for the race.
This runner paused to take a selfie with Orly.
Many of the runners were buddled up for the race. It was about 30 degrees at the start of the 5K.
Veteran quintet leads Purple Eagles
Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Albion’s veteran quintet includes, from left, Wesley Olles, Nate Gibson, Tyler Cody, Josh Schoeberlein and Elliot Trapiss.
After finishing in the runner-up spot last year Albion is again looking to contend for the Niagara-Orleans League basketball title led by a quintet of veterans.
Senior Wesley Olles, who earned first team N-O All-League honors and senior Tyler Cody, who was a second team honoree, heads that veteran group which also includes seniors Nate Gibson, Josh Schoeberlein and Elliot Trapiss.
Olles scored 262 points (11.9 ave.) and grabbed off 177 rebounds and Cody tallied 279 points (12.7 ave.)
“We’ve got decent experience back including two All Leaguers and that’s huge,” said Coach Travis Downs. “We have to play real good defense and be efficient on offense.
The Purple Eagles graduation losses included Kyle Radder, Isaiah Riley, Seth Krenning, Luke Bell and Kwami Riley.
Albion, which went 9-3 in the league and 13-9 overall last year, will tune up for the December 11 N-O opener at defending champion Akron by hosting Palmyra-Macedon on Dec. 5.
Rams take aim at rebound season
Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Roy-Hart’s veteran group includes, in front, Vinny Fazzio, Tysen McCaa and Ian Earl. In back are Isaac Smith, Matt Aquilina, Tyler Rothwell and G’Ahmeer Barnes. Missing is Nick Harding.
Looking to bounce back from last year’s 2-10 Niagara-Orleans League record, Roy-Hart returns a large group of eight veterans.
That contingent includes seniors Tysen McCaa, Vinny Fazzio, Tyler Rothwell, Ian Earl, Isaac Smith and Nick Harding along with juniors Matt Aquilina and G’Ahmeer Barnes.
The Rams roster also includes senior Josh Bronschidle, junior Owen Madel and sophomores John Brigham, Jakob West and Gavin Ickowski.
“We’ve got good experience back and they are working hard,” said Rams new Coach Connor Brooks. “We’re looking to build on what is here.”
Roy-Hart, which went 6-15 overall last year, will open the season on December 5 with a non league home game against Allegany-Limestone. The Rams N-O opener will be at Medina on Dec. 19.
Vikings top Tigers in season opening tourney
Lyndonville opened the local high school basketball season in the North Country this evening as the Tigers dropped a 33-22 decision to the Thousand Islands Vikings in the opening game of the LaFargeville Tournament.
Colton Smith had 8 points and 8 rebounds, Lane Woodworth and Lyric Raduns 5 points each and Atticus Mank 4 points and 11 rebounds for the Tigers.
Lyndonville will next face LaFargeville at 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
RBM hockey team drops home opener
The Roy-Hart/Barker/Medina Club Hockey team opened their home season against Buffalo this evening and came away losing 7-3.
Team Buffalo entered the game with a 1-1 record, while RBM was 1-0.
Buffalo opened the scoring at the 6 minute point of the opening period and took a 2-0 lead two minutes later.
With 5:23 left in the first, John Peracciny (R-H) scored from Sean Mettler (R-H). Before the end of the first, RBM tied the score on a goal by Viktor Snyder (Albion), assisted by Ryan Felicetti (Wilson).
Buffalo again scored the first two goals of the second period, but Mettler’s unassisted goal at the 9:55 mark, brought RBM back to within one goal.
Unfortunately, Buffalo again scored in the second and added two more in the third.
Now 1-1 on the young season, RBM’s next game is this Sunday morning at 11:35 at home against unbeaten Olean.
After month delay, HEAP season to start Dec. 1 to help with heating bills
After about a month delay to the federal government shutdown, the HEAP is scheduled to open on Monday, Dec. 1, in New York State.
If you are applying for the first time, a phone interview is necessary which can be completed beginning on Dec. 1. Applications will be available at the County Office Building in Albion, PathStone, Community Action, or Ministry of Concern; at the Community Center in Holley; or at Lee-Whedon Memorial Library in Medina.
You can apply online for HEAP by visiting www.myBenefits.ny.gov. If you received a benefit through a HEAP case last season you may apply through www.myBenefits.ny.gov or submit your completed application along with necessary documentation to the Department of Social Services, 14016 Rt. 31 W. Albion, NY 14411.
If you are currently a Public Assistance or SNAP recipient, you should automatically receive your HEAP benefit through your case. Please be sure your worker has accurate vendor and account information to prevent a delay with your HEAP grant.
For questions or to set up an appointment call (585) 589-3182. If you are aged 60 or older, please call the Office for Aging at 589-3191.
For more information on HEAP, click here.
Illegal military actions diminish soldiers and American ideals
Editor:
News of the My Lai incident broke in November 1969, during my tour of duty in Vietnam. The My Lai incident happened March 16th, 1968, in Quang Ngai province when members of the 23rd (Americal) Division killed between 347 to 504 women, children and elderly unarmed civilians. It was a war crime.
While some in the military tried to white-wash it, the Vietnamese knew what had happened. It made winning the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese citizens more difficult. And it contributed to the American public’s attitude in opposition to the war. Returning soldiers, such as myself, were shunned and tainted as drug-addled murderers.
My tour of duty in Vietnam was from July 1969 to July 1970 with the 101st Infantry Division in Thua Thien and Quang Tri Provinces. Most of our operations were in the jungles of the Annamite Mountains, with very limited operations around villages.
My unit did not kill civilians, nor did we kill friendly soldiers, (South Vietnam soldiers). However, I know the intense hatred of the enemy, the rage and anger and desire for revenge. I know how atrocities happen. I also know the moral injury suffered by those of us who killed enemy soldiers.
The oath taken by members of the military includes: “I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So, help me God.” The Uniform Code of Military Justice states explicitly that this requirement does not apply to “patently illegal orders.”
In Nov. 1969, when news of the My Lai massacre broke, my unit commander called us together and made it clear to all of us, officers and enlisted, that orders to kill civilians are illegal and not to be followed. Furthermore, he made it clear that orders to kill unarmed P.O.W.’s is illegal.
It is also manifestly unlawful to issue orders or follow such orders to kill unarmed fishermen. While the administration has stated that those targeted are drug smugglers, they have offered no evidence to support that claim. They have offered no evidence that they are armed, or intend to smuggle drugs, if they have any, into the U.S.
There is no evidence that the occupants of those boats threaten in any manner, shape or form the U.S. We are not at war with Venezuela. Following “patently illegal orders,” and killing without due process diminishes how our allies view us and gives our enemies fodder.
It shakes the foundations that America stands for ideals and that the law is king not arbitrary capricious whims of those in power. Finally, it diminishes how we feel about ourselves, as citizens living in a democracy.
William Fine
Brockport
Snow created brilliant spectacle in the swamps
Kimberly Stawicki sent in these photos from Thanksgiving when she was out in the Oak Orchard Swamp.
The forecast for today in Orleans County says snow showers are likely with a high of 36 and an overnight low of 26.
Saturday will be mostly cloudy with a high of 36 and an overnight low of 27.
Sunday is forecast for rain and snow showers with a high near 40 and overnight low of 24.
Hawley sets 3 town hall events in Orleans County for Dec. 6
Press Release, Assemblyman Steve Hawley
Assemblyman Steve Hawley (R,C-Batavia) is hosting three town hall events in Orleans County on Saturday, December 6.
Hawley will take the time to meet with constituents and discuss the issues that matter to them the most. These events will give the community the opportunity to let their voices be heard and share their thoughts and concerns about where the state is headed.
“Speaking directly with my constituents is one of the most important parts of my job,” said Hawley. “I hope people show up to share their thoughts and opinions on how we can make New York a better place to live, work and raise a family.”
• Town of Murray/Village of Holley from 10 to 10:45 a.m. at Community Free Library, 86 Public Square, Holley, NY 14470
• Town of Albion/Village of Albion from 11:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Albion Town Hall, 3665 Clarendon Rd., Albion, NY 14411
• Town of Ridgeway/Town of Shelby/Village of Medina from 1 to 1:45 p.m. at Lee-Whedon Memorial Library, 620 West Ave., Medina, NY 14103
Friends of Iroquois Wildlife Refuge announce photo contest winners

Sam Ramos of East Amherst took this photo of heron that won the $100 first prize in the birds category.
Press Release, Friends of Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge
MEDINA – The winners of the 2024-25 photo contest held by Friends of Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge were announced Saturday at the nonprofit group’s annual meeting at Lee-Whedon Memorial Library.
First, second and third place were chosen in three categories: birds, other wildlife, and landscape. Three professional photographers judged the photos: Max Schulte of WXXI in Rochester, Tina MacIntyre-Yee of USA Today Co., and Matt Wittmeyer of Matt Wittmeyer Photography in Rochester.

Tina Wescott of Clarence won first place in the “Other Wildlife” category for her photo of a frog.
Winning first place in the birds category and garnering the most support from the judges in the contest was a photo of a heron by Sam Ramos of East Amherst, who won a $100 prize. Second place and a $50 check went to Derick Dietrich of Newfane for a photo of a Sandhill crane; and third and a $25 check went to Jay Terkel of Corfu for his photo of a heron.
The winning entry in the other wildlife category went to Tina Wescott of Clarence for her photo of a frog, which gained the second-highest level of support among the judges. Second place went to Jessica Waite of Oakfield for her photo of a bee; and third to Sandy Geschwender for her photo of a butterfly.
Rudy Edlund of Lockport won first place in the landscape category for his dramatic photo of storm clouds over the refuge. Second place went to Kathy Robinson of Le Roy for a photo of Oak Orchard River; and third to Gary Robinson of Le Roy for a photo of trees mirrored in water.
To see all the winning photos, click here.
Photos for next year’s contest can be taken anywhere from August of this year through Sept. 1 of 2026.
“Thank you to all those who participated in this year’s contest. Photography is one of the many ways people enjoy using the refuge, and there are so many opportunities there,” said Richard Moss of Medina, president of Friends of Iroquois NWR. “If you are a photographer who uses the refuge on a regular basis, please consider participating in the 2025-26 version of the contest.”
FINWR, which works to support and enhance the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, is a 501(3)c corporation and is celebrating its 25th year.
Sponsored Post
Lady Eagles to host season opening tourney
Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Kendall’s veteran quartet includes, from left, Sophia Picardo, Mia Price, Izzy D’Agostino and Stella Kwiatek.
With a veteran quartet anchoring the lineup, the Kendall girls basketball team will open the season by hosting the Lady Eagles annual tournament on December 4 and 6.
The tournament’s opening round matchups will have Medina vs. Holley followed by Albion vs. Kendall.
Leading the way for Kendall will be the veteran foursome of senior Stella Kwiatek, juniors Sophia Picardo and Mia Price and sophomore Izzy D’Agostino.
“It is a good group. They are working hard and the chemistry is better,” said Coach Lucian Price. “I’m excited to see the way they jell.”
Kendall, which went 9-6 in Genesee Region competition and 12-9 overall last year, will open the league campaign at home on Dec. 9 against Pembroke.
Lady Hawks have large veteran group
Photo by Cheryl Wertman – The Holley roster includes, in front, Alexis Lujan, Jayna Burris, Kyla Burne, Madie Lowell and Maizy Earhart. In back are Desiree McCormick, Mia Thom, Hanna Ostrom, Brynn Thomas and Alexis VanAmeron. Missing is Ella Turpyn.
With nine returnees on an 11 player roster, the Holley girls basketball team has plenty of experience heading into the December 4 season opener against Medina at the Kendall Tournament.
The Lady Hawks squad includes seniors Ella Turpyn, Alexis VanAmeron, Alexis Lujan and Maizy Earhart along with juniors Madie Lowell, Mia Thom and Desiree McCormick and sophomores Brynn Thomas, Kyla Burne, Hanna Ostrom and Jayna Burris.
“We’re young and athletic,” said Stephanie McBride who has taken over the Lady Hawks coaching reins.
Holley’s graduation losses included Alivia Wolf and Zoey Wolf.
The Lady Hawks, which went 2-13 in Genesee Region action and 6-15 overall last year, will begin league competition at home on Dec. 9 against Wheatland-Chili.
‘OK Kitchen’ ready to serve 500 Thanksgiving meals today in Albion
Photos by Tom Rivers
ALBION – Volunteers at the Orleans Koinonia Kitchen are getting a Thanksgiving feast ready for 500 people today. The “OK Kitchen” will be serving the meals from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at Harvest Christian Fellowship, 560 East Ave. Volunteers also will be delivering take-outs.
Mary Delamarter, front, gets the celery and onions ready for the stuffing. In back, at left, are Kris Witkop sauteing the celery and onions and Cinthia Echevarria stirring the gravy for the turkey.
Joyce Fudge marks trays of green bean casserole. The fellowship hall is ready for people to have a Thanksgiving meal.
These volunteers are shown inside the kitchen at about 10:20 a.m. Some of them arrived at 8 a.m. today. The Ok Kitchen and volunteers have been working on the meal throughout the week.
From left include Dana Bolton, Mary Delamarter, Kris Witkop, Cinthia Echevarria, Joyce Fudge, Sandy Shingleton, Cindy Moore and Robin Zaczek.


















