Metz Family named grand champion at Medina Parade of Lights for 3rd time

By Ginny Kropf, correspondent Posted 30 November 2025 at 5:59 pm

Photos by Tom Rivers: The Metz Family Christmas won the grand champion title on Saturday during the Medina Parade of Lights.

MEDINA – Pair decent weather and an enthusiastic crowd with nearly four dozen floats brightly decorated for the holidays and you have an evening to remember.

Such was the case Saturday night for the 17th annual Parade of Lights.

Always a tradition is lighting of a giant Christmas tree in Rotary Park and the spectacular fireworks which precede the parade each year.

The winning floats have been announced and the Metz family has taken the title again. The family won in 2021 and 2022. Last year the grand champion was the Orleans/Niagara BOCES and Burger King won the top award in 2023.

Winners announced for this year are:

Grand Champion – Metz Family Christmas

Best in Class (Commercial) – Airborne Acres

Best in Class (Service Clubs) – Roy-Hart FFA

Best in Class (Fire companies) – Albion Joint Fire District

Best in Class (Not-for-profit) – Orleans Community Action’s Head Start

Best in Class (Religious) – The Vine

Best in Class – Orleans-Niagara BOCES

Santa’s Pick Award – Niagara County 4-H Equine Program

Littlest Elf Award – Eye of Oden K9 Training

Star Award – Logan’s Landscaping

Community Spirit Award – Medina Central School Transportation Department


Jim Hancock, who heads the parade committee, expressed his pleasure at this year’s Grand Marshal, Assemblyman Steve Hawley, who has also been parade announcer each year. Medina Mayor Marguerite Sherman welcomed the crowd until Hawley arrived in a Mustang convertible donated by George Bidleman of Orleans Ford.

Hancock said there were so many beautiful and creative floats this year.

“They seem to get better and better every year,” he said. “And I am so pleased to have Steve Hawley as our Grand Marshal.”

Hancock also thanked the village departments, especially the DPW who make the parade a success every year.

Many of the units in the parade are repeat entrants, such as the Mark Time Marchers from Churchville, entertaining for their 12th year; Niagara County’s Equine Program with 16 visits; East Shelby Volunteer Fire Company, every year since the beginning; Hartland Volunteer Fire Company, an entrant for many, many years; and Ridgeway Fire Company, every year.

There were a large number of first-time entrants this year, including The Willows Assisted Living Facility; Bowers Plumbing from Albion; Cutaia Trucking from Fairport; Airborne Acres from Lyndonville; Tom Bruggman from Alexander; Gilligan’s Galley Restaurant from Point Breeze; Walsh Hotel (the third oldest bar in New York); Mallard House Renovations; and Luddy’s Equipment Rental from Albion.

Of course, the final float every year is Santa and Mrs. Claus on their special float built and donated by Takeform.

Hancock issued special thanks to the Parade Committee, which included Dave and Gail Miller, Nicole and Todd Bensley, Cindy Robinson, Reinhard Rogowski, Dave Stacey, Mark Irwin, Barb Hancock, Kathie Valley and Sue and Kevin DeHollander.

Undefeated Olean downs RBM icers

Contributed Story Posted 30 November 2025 at 4:17 pm

The Roy-Hart/Barker/Medina club hockey team dropped a 5-2 home ice decision to undefeated Olean this morning.

Olean was able to capitalize on numerous penalties by the home team which resulted in two powerplay goals.

Olean scored both of the first period goals, but early in the second, RBM got on the board thanks to a goal by Max Pilon (Medina), with assists going to Viktor Snyder (Albion) and Ryan Felicetti (Wilson).

A later powerplay goal gave Olean a 3-1 lead, but Gavin Ickowski (Roy-Hart) scored assisted by his Roy-Hart teammates Sean Mettler and John Peracciny.

Very late in the second, Olean scored the last two goals of the game, one a powerplay.

RBM has a string of four straight away games next on the schedule, beginning with a match-up with another undefeated team, Rochester next Saturday at the Lakeshore Arena beginning at 7:30 p.m..

Late Newfane rally falls short in state semi

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 30 November 2025 at 4:09 pm

A late rally fell short as Newfane dropped a narrow 20-16 decision to Tioga (Section IV) in the state Class D semifinal football game this afternoon at Cicero-North Syracuse High School.

Trailing 20-8, Newfane got back in the game on a 6 yard touchdown run by Camryn Stover and a two-point conversion carry by Isaiah Gerstung slicing the deficit to 20-16 with just over five minutes remaining.

The Panthers then got the ball right back by successfully recovering the ball on an onside kick.

However, the Panthers offense was unable to capitalize turning the ball over on downs near midfield to Tioga which was able to run out the clock.

Tioga had jumped out to a 14-0 first half lead on a pair of touchdown runs and a two-point conversion carry by Logan Bellis.

Newfane, which had a touchdown wiped out by a penalty in the first quarter, finally got on the scoreboard in the third period on a 42 yard touchdown run by quarterback Mac Capen and a two-point conversion run by Gerstung to cut the deficit to 14-8.

Tioga though got that one back early in the fourth quarter on a one yard run by Max Stauder for what proved to be the game winning touchdown and a 20-8 Tigers lead.

That set the stage for Newfane’s late comeback bid which fell short as the Panthers finish a history making season at 12-1.

It was a season which saw the Panthers win their first Section VI championship and make their first appearance in the state playoffs. In fact Newfane is the first Niagara-Orleans League team to reach the state football semifinals.

Tioga, which improves to 12-1, will now face Tuckahoe in the title game next Friday as the Tigers seek their fourth state championship in the last five years.

Cobblestone Museum grateful for talented participants at ‘Simply Christmas’ event

Posted 30 November 2025 at 3:27 pm

Editor:

I want to thank you and reporter Ginny Kropf for promoting and often attending our many programs scheduled each year to benefit the Cobblestone Society & Museum.

Ginny recently posted details of our upcoming December events before including responses to some additional questions she posed. She encouraged me to use this forum to share the answers, which she felt held merit for an additional communication with your followers.

Our “Simply Christmas” event scheduled for Saturday, December 6 at 11 a.m. is the third holiday program we’ve offered to the public in consecutive years. They have always included Christmas music, readings and/or stories.

Current trustee and treasurer Maarit Vaga initiated this holiday event with its deliberately chosen title so that from year to year the theme of the event could change.  Our first “Simply Christmas” program allowed Maarit to share traditions and customs from her Scandinavian heritage, with an emphasis on St. Lucia.

Last year St. Nicholas Day was the focus. This year in “Simply Christmas: A Community Musical Quilt” the spotlight is on locally talented individuals. Just as a beautiful quilt is the result of piecing together individual bits of fabric to make its design, the program’s variety of music – vocals, instrumental and sing-along – plus readings, will come together to kick off the Christmas season for the audience in a delightfully entertaining way!

I am super excited by the skill level of the various performers that will participate. Of note, Aaron Grabowski (baritone, Director of Music/Holy Trinity), Susan Walders (alto, flutist with E-Yah-Pah-Hah Wind Quintet), Bradeen Walders Erakare (soprano) and husband Sebastian Erakare (tenor) are teaming up as a quartet to perform Riu Riu Chiu, a Spanish Renaissance Christmas madrigal, sung unaccompanied.

All are welcome at the Cobblestone Church to celebrate the season.

Sue Bonafini, Assistant Director

Cobblestone Society & Museum

Fireworks preceded Parade of Lights, adding to great night in Medina

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 30 November 2025 at 1:43 pm

Photos by Tom Rivers

MEDINA – Before the start of the Parade of Lights at 6 p.m. in Medina on Saturday, fireworks added to the spectacle in downtown Medina.

The fireworks show was for about 10 minutes.

Each side of Main Street was packed with people for the fireworks and the parade. There also was a tree-lighting at Rotary Park at about 5:30 p.m.

Assemblyman Steve Hawley, the grand marshal for the parade and the announcer for the past 16 years, said Medina has the best Main Street in the state.

Steven Long, a Medina firefighter, sent in this photo Medina Engine 10 under the fireworks.

Veteran group has Mustangs eyeing challenge for top N-O League basketball honors

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 30 November 2025 at 9:42 am

Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Medina’s large veteran group includes, in front, Jimmy Dieter, Jayzon Wills, Kolton Fletcher and Avion Johnson. In back are Briley Allen, Jerrell Nealy, Preston Woodworth and Christian Moss.

Anchored by a large veteran group, including three All League squad honorees, Medina is looking to challenge for top Niagara-Orleans basketball honors this season.

Senior Jerrell Nealy, who earned first team N-O All-League honors, junior Preston Woodworth who was a second team selection and senior Christian Moss who was an Honorable Mention pick head the veteran group for the Mustangs which went 7-5 in the league and 9-12 overall last year.

Nealy scored 392 points (19.6 average) and grabbed off 181 rebounds while Woodworth scored 326 points (16.3 ave.) and Moss had 175 points (0.2 ave.) and 169 rebounds.

The Mustangs returners also include seniors Kolton Fletcher, Avion Johnson, Jimmy Dieter, Briley Allen and junior Jayzon Wills.

Medina’s lone graduating starter was Cole Callard.

“The league will be a dogfight. There are a lot of returning first and second team All League players” said Mustangs Coach Justin Morgan in noting that defending champion Akron, Wilson, Newfane and Albion all return most of their key All League players. “We hope our experience gives us an edge. We have a lot of guys who can score and play defense.”

The Mustangs will tune-up for the December 11 N-O opener at Barker with three non league games including against West Seneca East on Dec. 5 at Kenmore East, at Kenmore East on Dec. 6 and at Starpoint on Dec. 8.

Weekly high school sports schedule

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 30 November 2025 at 9:36 am

The Kendall girls basketball tournament will highlight this coming week of high school sports competition.

The Kendall tourney will get underway on Thursday with Medina vs. Holley (5:30 p.m.) followed by Albion vs. Kendall ( 7 p.m.). The tournament will conclude on Saturday.

Weekly Schedule
Monday
Boys Basketball – Lyndonville at Barker, 6:30 p.m.
Girls Basketball – Roy-Hart at Kenmore East, 7 p.m.

Tuesday
Girls Basketball – Barker at CSAT 5 p.m.; Albion at Wheatland-Chili, 7 p.m.

Wednesday
Girls Basketball – Roy-Hart at Lyndonville, 6:30 p.m.

Thursday
Girls Basketball – Kendall Tournament (Medina vs. Holley, 5:30 p.m.; Albion vs. Kendall, 7 p.m.); Pembroke at Barker. 6:30 p.m.
Swimming – Pembroke at Medina, 5:30 p.m.
Wrestling – Albion at Byron-Bergen; Medina at Churchville-Chili, 6 pm.

Friday
Boys Basketball – Medina vs. West Seneca East at Kenmore East, 5 p.m.; Houghton at Lyndonville, 6 p.m.; Allegany-Limestone at Roy-Hart, 6:30 p.m.; Pal-Mac at Albion, 7 p.m.
Girls Basketball – Lyndonville at Global Concepts, 5 p.m.; Roy-Hart at Niagara-Wheatfield, 7 p.m.
Swimming – H-A-C at Albion; Oakfield-Alabama at Roy-Hart/Barker, 5:30 p.m.

Saturday
Boys Basketball – Medina at Kenmore East, 1 p.m.; Holley at Perry, 2:30 p.m.
Girls Basketball – Kendall Tournament
Wrestling – Albion at Cheektowaga; Roy-Hart hosts the Dick Lang Duals; Lyndonville, Medina and Holley-Kendall at Byron-Bergen Tournament

Hawks face a bit of a rebuilding task

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 30 November 2025 at 9:32 am

Photo by Cheryl Wertman – Anchoring the Holley lineup this season will be this group of veterans. In front are Logan Stoick and Logan Gillespie. In back are Cam Mosier, Blake Coleman, Avante Walker and Josh Silpoch.

Having lost four starters to graduation, Holley faces a bit of a rebuilding job as the Hawks prepare for the December 10 season opening Genesee Region League game against Pembroke.

Anchoring the Holley lineup with be the veteran group of seniors Josh Silpoch, Blake Coleman, Logan Gillespie and Logan Stoick along with juniors Avante Walker and Cam Mosier.

The Hawks graduation losses include the starting quartet of Destin Kuyal, Vinnie Golisano, Mason Moyer and Chris Mosier.

“It will be a good challenge,” said Hawks Coach Wyatt Wink. “I’m excited to see who steps up.”

The Hawks went 9-6 in G-R action and 10-11 overall last year.

Medina community puts on another amazing Parade of Lights

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 30 November 2025 at 8:52 am

Photos by Tom Rivers

MEDINA – Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive on a float created by Takeform in Medina to close out Medina’s 17th annual Parade of Lights on Saturday night. There were 45 floats in the parade that brought several thousand people to the downtown and along a parade route that started at the Olde Pickle Factory and went down Park Avenue to Main Street.

Logan’s Landscaping in Medina created an impressive float that resembled a giant Hot Wheels truck. Logan’s gave away 1,000 Hot Wheels cars while traveling the parade route.

The Miller Hose Fire Company in Newfane made the trip for the parade. Several rows of onlookers weren’t deterred by the 30-degree temperatures for the parade that lasted about 1 hour, 15 minutes.

The Eye of Oden, which provides dog training in Kent, gets its float ready for the parade while in the staging area at the Olde Pickle Factory parking lot.

The Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Company was among several departments to participate by decorating fire trucks and other rescue equipment for the parade.

Community Action of Orleans & Genesee celebrated Head Start and other programs of the agency with this float.

The Painted Sky Ranch from Brockport brought horses to the parade.

The Walsh decorated a 1974 fire truck with 5,000 lights and rode in the parade.

The North Wing at Medina Memorial Hospital participated in the parade.

Bentley Brothers of Albion and Brockport was in the parade with a float celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.

Gilligan’s Galley, a restaurant at Point Breeze, had a boat decorated for the event.

Luddy’s Equipment Rental, which opened this year in Albion, was a newcomer to the Parade of Lights and gave Spiderman a ride on the top of its float.

The Medina Transportation Department at the school district decorated bus no. 212 with a Candy Land theme.

The East Shelby Volunteer Fire Company made a big effort for its display in the parade.

Before the parade, there was a tree-lighting celebration at Rotary Park.

Owl again makes appearance at Medina’s Parade of Lights

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 29 November 2025 at 9:07 pm

MEDINA – In recent years, an owl has been perched on top of Main Street during rh Parade of Lights.

Tonight’s parade again had a guest star with what look like a barred owl up high on buildings.

Kyle Brege took the photo on top.

Kelly Albone posted this photo on the Orleans Hub Facebook page.

Tigers rally to score tournament victory

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 29 November 2025 at 8:22 pm

Contributed Photo – Lyndonville’s All Tournament team honorees Lane Woodworth, left, and Colton Smith are shown here with Quincy McClinsey who is holding the Tigers trophy.

Putting together a big second half, Lyndonville rallied to defeat the host Red Knights 51-44 in the Tigers second game of the season opening LaFargeville Tournament this evening.

Trailing 20-18 at the half, the Tigers rebounded to outscore the Red Knights 33-24 in the second half to claim the win.

The Tigers featured a balanced attack as Lane Woodworth had 15 points and 9 rebounds, Colton Smith 10 points and 14 rebounds and Quincy McClinsey 12 points and 8 rebounds. Devin Babcock and Lyric Raduns also both chipped in with 5 points, Atticus Mank 3 and Thomas Blake 1.

Woodworth and Smith were both named to the All Tournament team.

The Tigers lost to Thousand Islands 33-22 in the opening game on Friday.

Now at 1-1, Lyndonville will next visit Barker at 6:30 p.m. Monday for a non league game.

All WNY, All State honors for N-O players

By Mike Wertman, Sports Writer Posted 29 November 2025 at 7:08 pm

Photos by Cheryl Wertman – All WNY honorees, from left, Luke Duffina (Medina), Cole Herrmann (Wilson) and Andrew Danner (Wilson).

Overall ALL WNY team honoree Aidan Neumann from Wilson.

The Niagara-Orleans League is represented by four players on the All Western New York boys soccer squad and by three players on the All State small schools team.

Undefeated N-O champion Wilson, which advanced to the state finals, is represented on the All WNY squad by the trio of senior forward Aidan Neumann, junior midfielder Cole Herrmann and senior defender Andrew Danner.

Neumann, who scored 55 goals and had 13 assists, has been named to the overall All WNY team. He was also honored as N-O League Player of the Year.

Herrmann, who had 8 goals and a school record 28 assists, and Danner, who had 1 goal and 5 assists, have both selected to the All WNY small schools team.

Medina has placed senior defender Luke Duffina on the All WNY small schools team.

Neumann, Herrmann and Duffina have also all been named to the All State small schools team.

Littlest Elf Contest winners announced

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 29 November 2025 at 1:42 pm

Provided photo

MEDINA – The winners of the Littlest Elf Contest include, from left: Noa Pierce, second place; Crew Overholt, 3rd place; and Isabella Tompkins, 1st place.

The contest urges participants to dress up in a holiday costume. It was part of today’s Olde Tyme Christmas celebration in Medina. The three were able to be part of the noon parade.