Notice of Annual Meeting, Budget Vote & Election
LYNDONVILLE CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
Towns of Ridgeway, Gaines, Yates and Carlton
Orleans County, New York
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a public hearing of the qualified voters of the Lyndonville Central School District, Orleans County, New York, will be held in the L. A. Webber Middle-High School Library on Monday, May 8, 2017, at 7:00 p.m. for the presentation of the budget. The budget will be available for review on May 1, 2017 at the Lyndonville Central Schools.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the annual meeting of the qualified voters of the Lyndonville Central School District of the Towns of Ridgeway, Gaines, Yates and Carlton, Orleans County, New York, will be held in the Stroyan Auditorium Foyer in said District on Tuesday, May 16, 2017 between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., at which time the polls will be opened to vote by electronic ballot upon the following items:
1. The question of the adoption of a proposition as follows: “RESOLVED, that the budget for the Lyndonville Central School District, Orleans County, New York, for the fiscal year commencing July 1, 2017 and ending June 30, 2018, as presented by the Board of Education, is hereby approved and adopted and the required funds therefore are hereby appropriated and the necessary real property taxes required shall be raised by a tax on the taxable property in said District to be levied and collected as required by law.”
2. To elect two (2) at-large members of the Board of Education one for a three (3) year term commencing July 1, 2017 and expiring on June 30, 2020 to fill the seat currently held by Susan Hrovat, whose term expires on June 30, 2017 and one for a one (1) year term commencing May 17, 2017 and expiring on June 30, 2018 to fill the seat currently vacant due to the resignation of Michelle Dillenbeck whose term expires on June 30, 2018.
3. The question of the adoption of a proposition as follows: “RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Lyndonville Central School District is authorized to increase the tax to support the Yates Community Library from $91,589 to $97,443 annually and to levy a tax and pay over such increased amount to the Trustees of the Yates Community Library”
4. Shall the following resolution be adopted, to wit:
RESOLVED, that the Board of Education (the “Board”) of the Lyndonville Central School District (the “District”) is hereby authorized to establish a capital reserve fund pursuant to Section 3651 of the Education Law of the State of New York (the “Fund”); that the Fund shall be known as the “Building Capital Reserve Fund 2017” of the District; that the Fund shall be established for the purpose of funding the construction, reconstruction, addition to, renovation, alteration and improvement of District buildings, facilities, grounds and real property, including the acquisition of original furnishings, equipment, machinery and apparatus required in connection therewith; that the ultimate amount of such Fund shall be not greater than $4,000,000 plus interest earned thereon; that the probable term of the Fund shall be not longer than fifteen years; and that the source of the monies for the Fund shall be (a) unappropriated fund balance of the District, (b) State aid received as reimbursement for expenditures by the District in connection with District capital improvements and for expenditures from the Fund, and (c) such other sources as the voters of the District may direct.
5. The question of the adoption of a proposition as follows: “RESOLVED, that the Board of Education of the Lyndonville Central School District is hereby authorized to purchase one (1) sixty-six (66) passenger school bus for use in the transportation program of the District, at a maximum estimated cost of $112,000 and (1) 22 passenger, wheel chair lift equipped van at a maximum estimated cost of $68,000, or so much thereof as may be necessary, shall be expended from the District’s Transportation Vehicle Reserve Fund 2016.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a copy of the statement of the amount of money that will be required to fund the School District’s budget for 2017-2018, exclusive of public monies, may be obtained by any resident of the District during business hours beginning May 1, 2017 at the Lyndonville Central Schools.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that petitions nominating candidates for the office of member of the Board of Education shall be filed with the Clerk of said School District at her office in the L. A. Webber Middle-High School, no later than Monday, April 17, 2017 between 9:00 a.m. and
5:00 p.m. Each petition shall be directed to the Clerk of the District, shall be signed by at least twenty-five (25) qualified voters of the District, shall state the residence of each signer, and shall state the name and residence of the candidate.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the qualified voters of the School District shall be entitled to vote at said annual vote and election. A qualified voter is one who is (1) a citizen of the United States of America, (2) eighteen years of age or older, (3) resident within the School District for a period of thirty (30) days next preceding the annual vote and election and (4) a person not otherwise prohibited from voting under the provisions of Section 5-106 of the Election Law. The School District may require all persons offering to vote at the budget vote and election to provide one form of proof of residency pursuant to Education Law §2018-c. Such form may include a driver’s license, a non-driver identification card, a utility bill, or a voter registration card. Upon offer of proof of residency, the School District may also require all persons offering to vote to provide their signature, printed name and address.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that application for absentee ballots will be obtainable between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays, from the District Clerk. The District Clerk must receive completed applications at least seven (7) days before the election if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, or the day before the election, if the ballot is to be delivered personally to the voter. Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m., prevailing time, on Tuesday, May 16, 2017. A list of persons to whom absentee ballots are issued will be available for inspection to qualified voters of the District in the office of the District Clerk on and after May 11, 2017, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays prior to the day set for the annual election and on May 15, 2017, the day set for the election. Any qualified voter present in the polling place may object to the voting of the ballot upon appropriate grounds to make his/her challenge and the reasons therefore known to the Inspector of Election before the close of the polls.
AND FURTHER NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that pursuant to a rule adopted by the Board of Education in accordance with §2035 and §2008 of the Education Law, any referenda or propositions to amend the budget, otherwise to be submitted for voting at said election, must be filed with the Lyndonville Board of Education at the L. A. Webber Middle-High School on or before April 17, 2017 at 5:00 p.m., must be typed or printed in English, must be directed to the Clerk of the School District and signed by at least twenty-five (25) qualified voters of the District, or five percent of the number of voters that voted at the previous annual election, whichever number is greater, and must state the name and residence of each signer. However, the School Board will not entertain any petition to place before the voters any proposition the purpose of which is not within the powers of the voters to determine, or any proposition that fails to include a specific appropriation where the expenditure of monies is required by the proposition.
DATE: March 22, 2017
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION
LYNDONVILLE CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
TOWNS OF CARLTON, GAINES, RIDGEWAY & YATES
ORLEANS COUNTY, New York