Find us on Facebook
Local Sports


3280 United Structural
3262 Gotta Dance
3270 Albion Little League
3321 Cobblestone Society
3227 Lyndonville Lions
3255 Medina LOYAL
3295 Mustang Band
3314 GCC
3319 Albion Merchants Association
0231 LCP Fishing Hotline
2192 LCP Printing Copying Services
2308 I Saw It On The Hub
2374 Link to LCP

Gaines man, 66, facing weapons charge will go to trial

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 10 January 2017 at 8:06 am

ALBION – A Gaines man facing charges of conspiracy in the fifth degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree will go to trial.

John P. Klotzbach, 66, of Ridge Road declined to consider any plea offers Monday in Orleans County Court.

“This is going to trial, sir,” Klotzbach told Judge James Punch.

Klotzbach was charged on May 20 following an investigation by the Task Force, the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the Orleans County Sheriff’s Office.

Klotzbach allegedly attempted to purchase a shotgun and refused to complete the required ATF form 4473 for the federal background check and was subsequently denied the purchase.

Several days later, a female acquaintance allegedly went into the gun store and wanted to purchase the same gun that Klotzbach attempted to buy. The gun store owner became suspicious when he noticed the woman was riding in the same vehicle as Klotzbach, as well as attempting to purchase the same gun that Klotzbach wanted. The store owner then contacted law enforcement authorities.

Klotzbach has been free on $10,000 bail.

His attorney, Dominic Saraceno, told Judge Punch that Klotzbach is optimistic about a trial with a new president soon to take office.

“He asked me to postpone this until after Mr. Trump takes office,” Saraceno told Judge Punch. “He believes that will change the dynamic.”

Klotzbach has had a mental health evaluation and has been found competent, Punch said.

In other cases:

• A Medina resident pleaded guilty to attempted burglary in the second degree and will face a maximum of six months in jail as part of a plea agreement.

Frank Ranallo Jr., 46, of Chestnut Street in Medina admitted to entering a house on Salt Words Road on June 24 without permission. He will be sentenced on Jan. 23.

• A Holley resident was arraigned on new charges of rape. Anthony C. Roe, 21, in March was sentenced to six months in jail and five years probation after he pleaded guilty to having sex with a 14-year-old girl while he was 20.

Roe now is accused by another teen-age girl of having sex between Aug. 15, and Sept. 15, 2015. Roe allegedly had sex with that girl after he had been arrested previously.

He was arraigned on Monday for one count of second-degree rape and two counts of criminal sexual act in the second degree. Judge Punch set bail at $50,000.

Roe will not face charges for violating probation because the new charges are for alleged violations that occurred before Roe was convicted of the first rape charges, Punch said.

Steven C. Jones, 47, of Rochester was indicted on numerous drug charges. He was arrested in November, the first person to be charged in Orleans County for selling medical marijuana. Jones was allegedly selling marijuana in both liquid and pill form, as well as prescription painkillers.

He was indicted on Monday by the grand jury for four counts each of third-degree sale and possession of a controlled substance, two counts of fourth-degree criminal sale sale, one count of fourth-degree criminal possession, three counts of fifth-degree criminal sale and four counts of fifth-degree criminal possession.

Return to top