Find us on Facebook

Medina woman praised by judge for completing diversion program

By Tom Rivers, Editor Posted 24 August 2018 at 9:27 am

Several others in program struggle to meet standards

ALBION – A Medina woman graduated from a judicial diversion program on Thursday after staying off drugs for a year.

Jenia Suarez-Jimenez, 27, of Medina had a felony charge dismissed and she was instead charged with a misdemeanor. She doesn’t have to spend any time in jail.

She was charged in April 2017 with criminal possession of a controlled substance in the fifth degree, which carries a maximum of 2 ½ years in state prison. She admitted in court a year ago to selling hydrocodone in Medina and western Orleans County.

Suarez-Jimenez was praised by Judge Charles Zambito and District Attorney Joe Cardone for completing the diversion program.

“We wish her well in the future and hopefully she doesn’t have any future incidents,” Cardone said in court.

Zambito commended her for her persistence in completing the program.

“I want to congratulate you,” he said. “It is a very beneficial result for you. If you follow through and are committed, there can be a substantial benefit to everyone.”

Others in judicial diversion aren’t doing as well as Suarez-Jimenez.

Cynthia Lopez-Lopez, 40, of Brockport was accepted into the diversion program in September 2017. She was arrested in April 2017 after allegedly selling suboxone in Albion. She pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a controlled substance in the fifth degree, which carries a maximum of 1 to 2 ½ years in prison as a first-time felon.

She was expelled from the diversion program after allegedly having drugs brought to the county jail.

She will be sentenced on Nov. 1 on a felony charge and could face incarceration.

If she had completed the diversion program, the felony would have been dismissed and she instead would have received a misdemeanor with no jail.

Jocelyn Munn, 23, of Medina was terminated from the judicial diversion program on Thursday. She admitted to violating terms of the program.

She will be sentenced on Nov. 1 for a felony of fourth-degree grand larceny. She faces a maximum of 1 to 3 years in state prison after she allegedly stole jewelry worth more than $8,500.

If she had been successful in the diversion program, the felony would have been dismissed and she would instead be sentenced to a misdemeanor.

Olivia Holloway, 40, of Shelby could be kicked out of the diversion program after she was charged in Monroe County with having cocaine. Holloway asked for another opportunity to stay in the program. She said it was her first lapse in 11 months.

“I’m just asking for a second chance,” Holloway said the Judge Zambito.

He set a hearing for 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 6 to determine whether Holloway will stay in the program.

If she is expelled, she could be sentenced to incarceration.

Return to top